Screenworks Editorial Opportunities
Screenworks, the peer-reviewed online journal of screen media practice research, seeks two new Associate Editors to join our international team. These exciting posts would be ideal for established academics, early career researchers or postgraduate research students in the field of media practice who are interested in developing editorial skills and an understanding of publishing processes.
As an Associate Editor you will work with our existing team to oversee review processes from submission to publication and help to manage an increasing interest in the journal. You will ideally have some experience with peer review, but we can also mentor postgraduate and early career researchers who are keen to learn.
You will be responsible for the smooth-running of the journal’s editorial process, including: attending quarterly editorial meetings (online as needed); scheduling meetings with the team; taking minutes at meetings; maintaining our editorial back-end and liaising with the Screenworks team, contributors and reviewers.
You will also be responsible for maintaining publication workflow, including proofing webpages, making corrections and formatting. You will also help manage our online presence and develop our audiences on Facebook, Twitter, Jiscmail and other relevant platforms. This may also include content management and upgrading / maintaining of the website. You will ideally be highly media literate, engaged with the milieu of practice-research and active on social media in your own right.
- Film / screen practitioner with an understanding of practice (as) research.
- Good knowledge of film and television scholarship and related academic networks.
- Excellent proof-reading / editorial skills.
- Experience with WordPress, Google Drive, Doodle Poll, Zoom.
- Ability to create and manage deadlines and liaise with multiple parties efficiently.
- Video editing skills and knowledge of both Vimeo and YouTube.
- Familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, and social media scheduling software such as Tweetdeck and Crowdfire.
- Experience organising article metadata and creating DOIs through CrossRef.
- Photoshop skills are also welcome.
HOW TO APPLY
We invite applications via email with a short 500 word expression of interest outlining your suitability for the role, your relevant experience and your connection to practice-research. Please include links to your online research profile or social media presence as appropriate. We’re keen to bring new and more diverse voices to the team so particularly encourage applications from women, disabled and black, asian and minority ethnic candidates, as these groups are underrepresented.
Please email: [email protected] with “Editorial Opportunities” in the subject.
Deadline: 31st October 2020
You will be joining the Screenworks editorial team: Editor in Chief Charlotte Crofts (UWE), and Associate Editors Elan Gamaker (Roehampton), Alex Nevill (San Francisco State) and Will DiGravio (The Video Essay Podcast). Like all of the editorial team, these are unpaid roles.